Hyper Final

Finally, I’m finished with my Hyper project!

As I’ve said before, I started with extracting my wooden figures from their backgrounds using the polygonal lasso tool and magnetic lasso tool.

Then, I changed the background (Grand Central) to black and white. Also, I cleaned up most of the prominent people in the foreground using the select key and fill, the patch tool and polygonal lasso tool. Also, I recreated some of the parts that were erased during the clean up using the healing tool, clone stamp tool, and duplicating the layers as needed.

After that, I started putting in the differently positioned wooden figures into the background and scaled them accordingly using the original photo as a guide. Here, I used the free transform tool: scale, perspective, skew and warp to manipulate most of the wooden figures. Also, to easily add variety, I used the flip horizontal tool on similar figures.

For some figures, I had to duplicate the layers to correct some anatomical parts while also using the healing tool and clone stamp tool in the process. With this kinds of figures, I also had to link the layers so that I could move the whole body whenever I wanted to.

Also, I used the filter: motion blur on some of my wooden figures. For those who are more active, I increased the number of the distance. Although I initially used the filter: stylize (wind) for the running figure, I opted for the motion blur effect instead. I think this looked more realistic and more likely if captured by a camera.

Then, for the figures in the background, I duplicated a couple of wooden templates. I applied motion blur to some and left some stationary. Also, depending on the light source, I darkened some figures using the burn tool, and lightened some with the dodge tool.

Also, with the figures on the balcony, I lowered the opacity and used the polygonal to trim the figures in order to hide the legs behind the balcony.

Also, I realized that I needed to make the figures look more grounded. Using a tip from my friend, I duplicated a layer I wanted to have a shadow on and filled it with black paint. Then, I used the free transform tool to achieve the kind of shadow I wanted, lowered the opacity accordingly and used the motion blur tool to make it more realistic. And for some shadows, I created a new layer, used the brush tool to paint and repeated the above process.

Finally, I placed all the figures on their respective positions. But before doing that I changed the colors in all the original figures first. Using the variations under image adjustments, I added more red to the existing hues to make it more the wooden figures more human-like. Depending on the light source, I made some figures darker and some lighter. Also, I played with the saturation and color balance as well. And here is the final piece!

EDIT:

After presenting the final piece, my classmates pointed out a good observation that I was lacking wooden figures inside the ticket booth and at the third level. So, I inserted a couple of figures here and there and also adjusted the values for most of my figures (darker for those in the back and lighter in the foreground). And that’s about it.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s